Sunday, February 13, 2011

My favorite Kitchen Gadget...

Well, it's not technically a gadget.  It's an egg poacher and I love it! I just thought I'd share with you, the benefits of this amazing little poacher...Very low cal as far as fat goes.  Deep frying is out and the result is a fabulous eggs that taste perfectly cooked.  It doesn't get any better than this. I use this little guy all the time and never tire of the flavor and texture on my breakfast plate.  It's fast and clean-up is easy (non-stick).

So I bought this a few years back after going through several electric models...


And I prefer the stove top version by far because I can control the doneness (okay maybe this is not a word, but anyway) of my egg simply by timing it.

Start with fresh eggs...


Add a tad bit of butter to the egg cup. That's Grandma's Southern speak for about a 1/4 of a pat : )
Crack a few eggs into the cups...



Set the egg cups in the wells with the boiling water...


Time it!

I like my poached eggs on the medium soft side, whites totally firm and cooked; the yolk barely firm, if a little runny.  But that's me.  So my California Girl rule of thumb...if you like them like I do, cook them for 3 to 4 minutes.  Fill water a 1/3 of the way up. Set the burner to medium high to boil the water.  Then after adding your eggs, turn the burner down to medium low and cook until they have reached perfection. If you want hard boiled eggs, cook for longer than 4 minutes, about 5.  For softer cooked eggs (whites not set) cook for less than 3 minutes.  There you have it.  Not rocket science, but it is helpful to have some sort of guide to go by.

Now you wait...


Wait for it...(Insert Jeopardy music here)
Done!
Now eat and enjoy!

Happy Sunday!