Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Toad in the Hole


My Mother's side of my family runs in the high percentages of English Blood. And our family history dates back to Dukes and Earls and other very hoity-toity persons as such. Which brings me to breakfast... An English breakfast to be exact and a very favorite one of my family. Toad in the Hole! Now, doesn't this sound Royal? Okay, not so much, but this is so yummy!

Aside of some of the very objectionable versions of this dish, dating far to the backside of the 17th century and using kidneys and various cuts of meat, this is my breakfast of choice. It's not the most traditional, being the batter and sausages, but it's the best. Simply egg and bread.

You have the softness of the egg and I like my egg whites done and my yolks runny so I can SOP up all of the deliciously crisp fried bread toast. Yes, I said it, fried bread toast. But we're only using a little butter. In comparison, Paula Deen would use 2 sticks on this recipe! I only said a little! : ) Now, down to business.

For each Toad in the Hole, you will need:

1 teaspoon or more : ) of butter (Depending on your skillet. Less for non-stick) : P
1 slice of white, wheat or bread of choice
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Add butter to a skillet on medium high heat.
Tear or cut a circle in the center of each slice of bread approximately 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. (Don't throw away the circle, fry it too)
When skillet is hot and butter is melted, lay the slices of bread in the pan.
Crack an egg in the center (hole) of each slice of bread.
Fry until golden brown on each side.

Cooks note: If skillet is browning faster than the egg is cooking, turn down heat slightly to allow the egg to cook thoroughly without burning the bread.

Simply Done. Enjoy!