Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baja Fish Tacos






I don't care what time of year it is, we're always up for fish tacos. I think everyone has their favorite version.  And I have a few more versions myself. But this is one of my favorites.  My daughter, Malissa makes amazing grilled fish tacos. They are really the best I've ever tasted. But, I've ever met a fish taco that I didn't like. What can I say,  I'm a California girl at heart.  This is my version and we love it! So if you're a fish Taco lover too, give this a try. Your tummy will be very happy you did. 

Ingredients:
3 cups buttermilk
2 pounds cod fillets, rinse, pat dry, and cut into strips (about ½ to 1” wide)
2 cup self rising flour
1 cup cornstarch
½ package taco seasoning or more to taste
½ head fresh cabbage, shredded thin with knife or 1 package slaw mix
1 onion, sliced thin (optional)
1 package corn tortillas
Oil for frying

*See ingredients for the sauce below!

Directions:
Place all fish in a large mixing bowl and pour buttermilk over. Add more if needed to cover fish. Set aside. Add enough oil to the pan to fry fish. I like about ½ to 1 inch depth of oil in my pan. Heat on medium high until oil starts to pop a little. While oil is heating, mix flour, taco seasoning and corn starch together in a bowl. In another bowl, mix cabbage and onion together. When your oil is hot, one piece at a time, dredge fish through flour mixture. Lower heat to medium.  Make sure you coat well, but not heavily. Fry coated fish in pan until golden brown on each side bout 3 to 4 minutes. You don’t want rubber! Drain fish on paper towels and set aside. Heat another skillet and cook tortillas as desired, soft or crispy.


Assemble tacos as you would any other taco, with your favorite toppings. Add fish, slaw, and drizzle with sauce. I love these extras; avocados, fresh lime wedges, salsa, Queso Fresco (Mexican Cheese), fresh jalapeno slices, hot sauce.

Chipotle Lime Cilantro Sauce

Ingredients:
½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup sour cream
2 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce)
1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, to taste
1 nice handful cilantro, chopped fine
1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a processor. Place in a bowl and chill until ready to use. I love my mini-processor for this task. : )


Enjoy!