Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Coronation Chicken Salad



This is my take on Coronation Chicken Salad, which was said have first been served at the Queen Elizabeth II coronation in 1953. I’ve tried a couple of versions over the years, but I like mine best. My Grandmother made her Coronation chicken salad with, of course curry, water chestnuts, carrots and raisins. I thought is sounded disgusting and avoided eating it for many years. But after trying it, well , I was pleasantly surprised. Delicious!   
The best part about chicken salad, is it is very forgiving. You can add and subtract, using different ingredients and measurements, or concoct your own yummy version to suit your family‘s taste.

Here's my version.
Enjoy!


Coronation chicken salad
serves 4

Ingredients:

½ cup mayonnaise

3 tablespoon sour cream

2 teaspoons curry powder

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1 slight handful cilantro, finely chopped

Kosher salt and black pepper to taste

3 cups of rotisserie chicken meat (breast and thigh mix is good), skin removed and shredded

2 ribs celery, diced

¼ cup red onion diced

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix together first 7 ingredients until well combined. Add in the chicken meat, celery and onion. Toss well to combine.


Pin It