Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Eggs in Pugatory




I did some research on the history of Eggs in Purgatory and I'm still a little in the dark, but like many famous dishes, the actual origin is pretty much a mystery. But, whatever the actual story, I'm getting this from everything I read... Purgatory,  is associated with the Catholic faith.  I think  the eggs represent the souls and the hot tomato sauce surrounding them represents their limbo between Heaven and Hell. I'm only hoping they can pull off their good souls and rise to the top! It does sound somewhat reasonable to me. There are other dishes very close to "Eggs in Purgatory", but not as colorful, so I'll go with the more exciting aspect. Regardless, Eggs in Purgatory is a delicious and satisfying, toast sopping goodness that stays with you until lunch. : )So grab some crusty toast and enjoy!  xx 

 Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 clove garlic. peeled and minced 
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes Siracha to taste   
1 regular size can chopped tomatoes 
½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
2 to 4 eggs  
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan 
Garnish with cilantro or parsley to taste

Crusty bread or toasted bread to serve.