Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mongolian Beef with Vegetables and Rice

We love Chinese food. I mean who doesn't? The fact is I would eat Chinese every time we go out to eat if I could or at least call for a take out. I would say it's my biggest weakness. And in the last few years I honed my cooking skills toward Asian dishes and now I can do just about any dish at home. NOT good! Saying I'm not going out to eat Chinese has really lost any meaning when I know I can whip it up in a matter minutes. So now it's just a matter of will power.  A couple of years ago I remembered how much I loved Mongolian grills. And I decided to learn the art. I may not be a master, but I think this rivals some of the best Mongolian Beef I've had and it's so simple. If you're like me, you're going to want this in the rotation again and again. So grab your wok and give it a go!


Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds tender steak, thinly sliced. I like flank steak for this.
1/2 cup cornstarch 
3 to 4 tablespoons peanut or canola oil for frying
1/2 cup carrots, cut into coins
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 cup onion, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cup water chestnuts
6 green onions, cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces

Sauce:
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:
Stir sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. In a skillet or wok, add cooking oil and heat until smoking. Mix steak pieces in cornstarch and place in the pan or wok. Stir fry just until it is still very pink in the middle.
Add carrots, ginger and garlic and stirfry for 2 minutes. Add onion, broccoli and water chestnuts and stir fry for 2 minutes. Toss in green onions and cook 1 minute. Add bowl of sauce. Cook until sauce has thickened and is coating the meat and vegetables. Remove and serve with white rice or your favorite noodles.